Stay Warm in Winter: French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup
a healthier spin on French Onion Soup
- 2.5 lb yellow onions, sliced thinly about 3-4 medium sized onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 + 1/2 cups beef bone broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 medium bay leaves
- baguette to slice into thick pieces
- provolone cheese
- Begin to caramelize the onions. Avoid too high-heat or your onions will burn and do not over-crowd the pot/pan – the onion will steam and release water if you do this! It will delay the caramelization process drastically. You want medium-heat! Slow and steady.
- This will take about 30-40 minutes total, adding the additional 2 tablespoons bone broth after 20 minutes.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Top each bowl with a slice of bread (I used two slices because my baguette was small) then lay down two slices of round provelone covering the top.
- Place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned!
Get new recipes delivered directly to your inbox.
[jetpack_subscription_form show_subscribers_total=”false” button_on_newline=”false” custom_font_size=”16″ custom_border_radius=”5″ custom_border_weight=”1″ custom_padding=”18″ custom_spacing=”1″ submit_button_classes=”has-text-color has-background-color has-background has-primary-background-color” email_field_classes=”” show_only_email_and_button=”true”]