Something that took me far too long to realize was that I could create something just as good, if not better, than the packaged foods I loved very much as a kid.
Trail Mix Bars
- 1¼ cup creamy, natural peanut butter
- ½ cup runny honey
- 2½ cups cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raw, walnut halves
- ⅓ cup raw, hulled pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raw, hulled sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 bar of dark chocolate
- Begin by chopping the bar of dark chocolate and placing it in a small bowl in the freezer to chill.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Chop the walnut halves into small bits and combine with the oats, seeds, raisins.
- In a small pot on the stove combine the peanut butter and honey and warm over medium/low heat, stirring often with a spatula, until hot
- Pour the honey and peanut butter mixture over the bowl of dry ingredients and begin to stir with a spatula or large spoon. Switch over to using your hands and massage the dry ingredients into the wet. The mixture will not seem sticky, it will seem a bit dry, but just take the time to work it into every oat and seed.
- Add the chopped chocolate from the freezer and fold in gently.
- Press the mixture into the lined 8×8 pan or into mold if you have it. This is the bit that if you do well the bars will slice nicely, but if not pressed enough they will crumble.
- Place the pan in the fridge to cool for an hour or two before slicing with a large, sharp knife. There might be a little crumble but the bars should otherwise hold together well if compacted properly.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within two to three weeks!