There’s nothing better than escaping for a weekend, especially during the colder months when there’s not much to do. Getaway House has thought of it all – a cozy bed with stunning views, a grand selection of books, a small kitchen to assist you with all your cooking needs, a box to put your phone away in, and the sweetest outdoor campfire area.
One of my favorite parts about camping is campfire cooking! There is nothing I love more than feeding the ones I love and the process of getting creative out in the woods is always exciting too. While on our getaway I made two brand new campfire recipes made with minimal + real ingredients. Both are easy make and requires little to no effort so you can sit and enjoy the great outdoors. Here’s the details:
BEST. PIZZA. EVER. My favorite part about this pizza is how perfectly crispy the bottom gets (thank you cast iron skillet) while the crust stays fluffy. I put together my favorite ingredients and they did not disappoint! I couldn’t recommend this pizza enough, the perfect salty/sweet combo.
- 1 bag dough sub gluten free dough if need be. You can also make your own dough if you’d like!
- fig spread
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
- salt + pepper
- butter or oil to grease the pan
- Grab a 10 inch Cast Iron Skillet
- Butter or oil the base
- After letting dough rise, mold it into the cast iron skillet
- Layer on the fig jam, sprinkle mozzarella cheese, place down prosciutto + basil leaves, and lastly drizzle with honey – feel free to add whatever spices you enjoy as well
- Place on fire rack above fire – cover with foil.
- Let cook for about 15 minutes or until pizza looks full done. Check it periodically and turn the cast iron often so all sides cook evenly
Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
Who doesn’t like banana bread? Probably one of my favorite things to eat + I love how incredibly versatile it is. You can add in chocolate, nuts or dried fruit – not to mention it can easily be made vegan or gluten free with a few simple swaps! A golden crispy base with a okey-gooey center = the best breakfast around a campfire. A must try!
Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
- 8 tbsp butter sub in ghee or coconut oil
- 1 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour sub in gluten free all-purpose flour if need be
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- dark chocolate chips
- dark chocolate bar for topping
- butter to grease the skillet
- Grease cast iron skillet with butter
- In bow, whisk together the melted butter, mashed banana, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and milk.
- In separate bowl mix together dry ingredients.
- Bring both wet and dry ingredients together.
- Fold in chocolate chips, then transfer to cast iron skillet.
- Top with your chopped chocolate bar, cover with foil and let sit over the fire (rotating periodically) for about 20 minutes or until it looks thoroughly cooked. You could also do this over the stove on medium-low heat.
My Favorite Part?
My favorite part of the Getaway House was the selection of books they left for us. I read through all of them in the morning while sipping on my coffee. My husbands favorite part was the game box – we played cards and listened to music all night after coming in from the fire. The perfect night.
What Else do they Provide?
I think a more appropriate question would be: what don’t they provide? They think of everything – dog bowls, cutlery, shower products, food, coffee, and even a s’mores kit!